“This Is What We’ve Been Fighting For”, Republican Matt Gaetz Announces Key Victory Over McCarthy Negotiations
Disclaimer: This artcile may contain the personal thoughts and opinions of the author.
After a long battle of fifteen votes, Kevin McCarthy finally received enough votes to become the 118th Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Rep. Matt Gaetz and 19 other representatives made it very difficult for McCarthy to get an easy win.
After the 14th failed vote, McCarthy tried to make a passionate appeal to Gaetz as the votes were being counted.
Gaetz had voted present, which left McCarthy just one vote away from taking the Speaker’s seat.
After all the theatre and show, McCarthy was finally able to receive enough votes to become Speaker. A debacle like this hadn’t been seen in the House for over a hundred years.
Gaetz revealed on Saturday night what the battle for Speaker was truly all about.
“This is what we’ve been fighting for,” Gaetz said.
In the draft of the current House Rules that are under consideration, this passage reveals the following provisions:
Subsection (b) provides for the separate consideration of seven bills under a closed rule with one hour of debate equally divided and controlled by the Majority Leader and the Minority Leader or their respective designees and one motion to recommit.
Subsection (c) provides the list of bills referred to in subsection (b), which include:
• A bill to rescind certain balances made available to the Internal Revenue Service.
• A bill to authorize the Secretary of Homeland Security to suspend the entry of aliens, and for other purposes.
• A bill to prohibit the Secretary of Energy from sending petroleum products from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to China, and for other purposes.
• A bill to amend the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act to direct district attorneys and prosecutors’ offices to report to the Attorney General, and for other purposes.
• A bill to require the national instant criminal background check system to notify U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the relevant State and local law enforcement agencies whenever the information available to the system indicates that a person illegally or unlawfully in the United States may be attempting to receive a firearm.
• A bill to prohibit taxpayer-funded abortions.
• A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit a health care practitioner from failing to exercise the proper degree of care in the case of a child who survives an abortion or attempted abortion.
Subsection (d) provides for the separate consideration of two resolutions under a closed rule with one hour of debate equally divided and controlled by the Majority Leader and the Minority Leader or their respective designees.
Subsection (e) provides the list of resolutions referred to in subsection (d), which include:
• A resolution establishing the Select Committee on the Strategic Competition Between the United States and the Chinese Communist Party.
• A resolution establishing a Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government as a select investigative subcommittee of the Committee on the Judiciary.
Subsection (f) provides for the consideration of a concurrent resolution expressing support for the Nation’s law enforcement agencies and condemning any efforts to defund or dismantle law enforcement agencies under a closed rule with one hour of debate equally divided and controlled by the Majority Leader and the Minority Leader or their respective designees.
Subsection (g) provides for the consideration of a concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress condemning the recent attacks on prolife facilities, groups, and churches under a closed rule with one hour of debate equally divided and controlled by the Majority Leader and the Minority Leader or their respective designees.
Subsection (h) allows the Speaker to recognize a member for the reading of the Constitution on any legislative day through February 28, 2023.
The Freedom Caucus forced McCarthy to agree to their America First policies. The provisions are very pro-life, and pro-America and are not the uniparty’s wishes. Trump was behind the scenes in talks and negotiations with McCarthy, calling the shots.
Will McCarthy follow the will of conservatives? Will he be America First? He walks on a thin line with conservatives, and could always be one vote away from being removed as Speaker.