Disclaimer: This article may contain the personal views and opinions of the author.
Billionaire Elon Musk is in the news yet again. No, it’s not anything to do with the much publicized Twitter buyout possibility. Nor is it related to the thunderous silence that accompanied Musk demand that the Department of Justice release the Epstein-Maxwell client list. No, this time it is his defiance of Biden agenda regarding the Ukraine and is accompanied by a certain open disdain for some government agencies.
Bad reporting by FT. This article falsely claims that Starlink terminals & service were paid for, when only a small percentage have been.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 7, 2022
This operation has cost SpaceX $80M & will exceed $100M by end of year.
As for what’s happening on the battlefield, that’s classified.
It has just been reported by Politico that:
The Pentagon is speaking to other satellite communications companies following a report that SpaceX can no longer financially support Starlink terminals in Ukraine, which the country has said is critical for battlefield communications.
On Thursday, CNN reported that SpaceX sent a letter to the Pentagon on Sept. 8 asking the agency to take over funding for the operations of Starlink terminals, which it donated to Ukraine earlier this year.
Speaking to reporters on Friday, a Pentagon spokesperson said the agency was reviewing its options.
Politico went on to report that:
“There’s not just SpaceX, there are other entities that we can certainly partner with when it comes to providing Ukraine with what they need on the battlefield,” Sabrina Singh, the Pentagon’s deputy press secretary, said when asked about the report. “I’m not going to show our hand right now on exactly what those are or who we’re talking to.”
Ukrainian leaders have praised Starlink as invaluable for aiding communications between units and as they share information gathered by drones.
It was further reported by ABC that:
“In addition to terminals, we have to create, launch, maintain & replenish satellites & ground stations & pay telcos for access to Internet via gateways,” he tweeted. “We’ve also had to defend against cyberattacks & jamming, which are getting harder. Burn is approaching ~$20M/month.”
The Starlink satellite internet’s vital role in Ukraine’s defense cannot be overstated. It has, for example, assisted front-line reconnaissance drone operators in targeting artillery strikes on key Russian assets. A senior military official on Friday made it clear that the U.S. believes the system has proven exceptionally effective on the battlefield. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to provide U.S. assessment of the Ukrainian battlefield.
It went on to report that:
In a tweet on Friday, Ukrainian presidential adviser Mikhail Podolyak said Ukraine will find a solution to keep Starlink working.
“Let’s be honest. Like it or not, @elonmusk helped us survive the most critical moments of war. Business has the right to its own strategies,” he tweeted. “We expect that the company will provide stable connection till the end of negotiations.”
In response to multiple questions during a briefing, Singh said the Pentagon was working with the Ukrainian Defense Ministry. “We know that there is this demand, and (satellite communications) capability … is needed and we want to be able to ensure that there are stable communications for the Ukrainian forces and for Ukraine.”
The request from the world’s richest man to have the Pentagon take over the hundreds of millions of dollars he says the system is costing comes on the heels of a Twitter war between Musk and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. And in tweets overnight Musk referred to the friction, suggesting it may affect his decision to end his company’s largesse in funding the systems.
In many ways, Elon Musk does not seem to be a fan of President Joe Biden and his administration. In fact, we reported earlier this month that the Space X and Tesla CEO immediately fired back at Harris. He tweeted out “Should be according to greatest need, not race or anything else.” He made it crystal clear to the race-baiting Vice President. Assistance is for all and not just for some. We had also reported that Musk let Google know he will be ditching their platform YouTube and instead be switching over to Dan Bongino’s Rumble. Bongino jumped at the opportunity to pitch his company saying: “Elon, it would be really incredible if you and Rumble got together. A force multiplier like no other.” Follow The Raging Patriot for more on this story as it develops.