BREAKING NEWS: Jussie Smollett to face TRAL after judge DENIES request for dismissal

A judge on Friday denied former “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett’s final attempt to get the charges against him dismissed, following accusations the actor lied to police about being the victim of a hate crime.

Smollett’s attorney, Nenye Uche, said the charges should be dismissed because Smollett already performed community service and paid a $10,000 bond under a sweetheart deal with Cook County prosecutors, the Associated Press reported. “A deal is a deal. That’s ancient principle,” Uche said, according to the outlet. Judge James Linn didn’t accept the argument, which Smollett’s team has been making for two years. Linn explained that the case was being handled by a special prosecutor who was appointed by a different judge and that he would not end that arrangement.

In January 2019, Smollett claimed he was walking alone at night in Deep Blue Chicago during a polar vortex when two supporters of  President Donald Trump – who ‘apparently happened to be carrying rope and bleach in the event they saw someone to attack that particular night’ – recognized him and brutally attacked him while yelling racial and homophobic slurs. Smollett returned to a friend’s home and called the police, still wearing the noose that was apparently placed around his neck from his attackers (Daily Wire).

It was later reported that Smollett hired two brothers whom he had previously worked with to stage the attack. The brothers alleged that Smollett paid them to buy plain red hats that he later claimed were “Make American Great Again” hats signaling the attackers’ support of Trump. In September 2020, Smollett insisted he was “set up” and continued to claim that he was attacked by two white men wearing MAGA hats. After Chicago police investigated Smollett’s original claims for two weeks, they suspected he had staged the attack (New York Post).

Latest Comments

  1. Thomas Faddis October 19, 2021

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: