BREAKING: Norway police says man KILLED FIVE in terrorist attack using bow and arrow

Four women and a man were killed and two others wounded when a man used a bow and arrow to attack them in Norway.

Police first received word of an attack in the town of Kongsberg, south-west of the capital Oslo, at 18:12 local time. A Danish man aged 37 has been arrested and was questioned for a long period of time overnight. Police said they had previously been in contact with him over fears of radicalization after he converted to Islam.

The victims were all aged between 50 and 70, regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud told reporters on Thursday morning. Reports of the incident were “horrifying”, said Prime Minister Erna Solberg, hours before she was due to leave office. “I understand that many people are afraid, but it’s important to emphasise that the police are now in control,” she said.

The attacker is said to have launched the assault inside a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg’s west side. One of those injured was an off-duty police officer who was in the shop at the time. A spokesperson for the chain later confirmed a “serious incident” at their store, adding that none of their staff were physically injured.

One witness told local outlet TV2 she had heard a commotion and seen a woman taking cover, then a “man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand”. “Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman holding a child by the hand,” she added.

Police informed Norwegian news agency NTB that the attacker also used other weapons during the incident, but didn’t disclose any further details about the type of weapons used. The attack was Norway’s deadliest since Anders Behring Breivik murdered 77 people, most of them at a children’s Labour Party summer camp on the island of Utoya in July 2011.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: