ALL PART OF BIDEN’S PLAN: Latest estimates say over 60,000 PEOPLE have landed in US from Afghanistan evacuation measures

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security says about 60,000 people have arrived in the country since Aug. 17 from Afghanistan as part of the evacuation formally known as Operation Allies Welcome.

DHS said in the latest updated released Wednesday that 17% of those arrivals are U.S. citizens and permanent residents who were in Afghanistan when the government there fell to the Taliban. The remaining 83% are a mix of people. They include those with Special Immigrant Visas, for people who worked as interpreters or in some other capacity for the US or NATO.

There are also other visa holders as well as applicants for visas who have not yet completed their processing. The remainder are various types of vulnerable Afghans who would be threatened under the Taliban, such as women and human rights advocates.

DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas says a small number of evacuees have been prevented from entering the US through multi-layered security vetting but he declines to provide specific numbers of provide details about the cases. A US official has confirmed that The Taliban’s new interim government has agreed to allow the remaining foreign nationals to leave Afghanistan.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: